WETS'03 Workshop (World Energy Transmission System)
Which world energy transmission system in 2050?
What role would Power Insulated Cables play?
MEUDON, FRANCE Thursday 26 June, 2003
1) World geographic distribution of resources and energy needs by the year 2030 and 2050.
Results of long-term studies available.
2) Do studies on a world energy transmission system exist?
Why a world energy transmission system?
Evolution steps of a world energy transmission system between 2000 and 2050,
Presentation of scenarios,
Case studies: regional sub-systems, main links building up continental or intercontinental energy 'skeleton'
3) Links characteristics of a world transmission system
Different vectors of power transmission: comparison's criteria,
Transmission power capacities, transmission distances,
Targets: economical, disponibility, environmental constraints,
Integrated links: energy + communication + transportation of passengers or material
4) Advanced technologies, which could be envisaged for electrical links:
Extrapolation of classical A.C. and D.C terrestrial and submarine technologies,
Other new technologies,
Microwaves: waves guides, WPT, Lasers.
5) Other vectors of power transmission,
6) Technical and economical comparison between isolated cables and other techniques and possible vectors of power transmission,