World Energy Transmission System
HVDC Cable Systems - State of the art
Was held within the scope of Jicable-hvdc13 in Paris on August 26th 2016
This workshop will be followed by Jicable-hvdc17 to be held on November 2017 in Dunkirk France)
Organization: Jicable and AGP21 with the Scientific and Technical Support of CIGRE
Chairman, Organization Committee: Lucien Deschamps
Friday, 26 August 2016 - 9:00 to 17:30
Palais des congrès Paris - Porte Maillot
Topic 1: Progress in the understanding of physical phenomena and materials for use in DC
- Development status, roadmap, characterisation and criteria of choice for new materials including thermoplastic insulation, nanotechnology, XLPE low by-product
- Environmental impacts of materials, carbon footprint, pollution and recyclability
- Understanding of ageing mechanisms and polarity reversals constraints
- Evaluation of electrical fields at triple points
- Behaviour of DC cables operated in AC for flexible electrical systems
Topic 2: Very high DC voltage (500 kV) extruded power insulated cables: standardization, needs, qualification in progress, industrial products delivery date
- Status of development and qualification tests up to 500 kV, including high gradient prototypes, testing and diagnostics of systems
- What are the need for standardisation? Is functional standard satisfying?
- What are the specific challenges on accessories?
- Road map to reach industrial products
Topic 3: HVDC corridor projects in Europe for underground links, hybrid AC/DC systems.
- Presentation and status of HVDC corridor projects, notably in Germany.
- How to lower Levelized Cost of Energy, including cost of civil works?
- What are the production capacities for very long lengths?
- What are the operation strategies and optimization of electrical systems when integrating HVDC links into HVAC systems?
Topic 4: Submarine HVDC links: state of the art of extruded and paper power insulated cables, transmitted power
- State of the art of insulation materials for submarine HVDC links and transmitted power
- What are the lesson learned from faults?
- Specific laying configurations (eg. deep depth)
Topic 5: Converters: Technical coordination of « cable / converters » system
- Coordination for the choice of Switching impulse and Lightning impulse voltage levels
- DC circuit breakers
- DC harmonics and filtering
- Understanding of behaviours after faults and polarity reversals
- Use of plastic insulation together with LCC converters